Cyber-attacks are common nowadays and even more so in small businesses that do not invest in advanced cyber security tools or software. Criminals dedicated to this know of the weaknesses and take advantage of them to carry out cyber attacks that put at risk the most vulnerable, mainly small and midsize businesses.
In this regard, businesses must consider several options when choosing the methods available to secure their network. Here we present everything you need to make wise cybersecurity decisions.
Understanding how the business system works is very important to know how to protect it, that’s why the first thing you should do is to know the risks to find the appropriate solutions.
Simple Ways to Secure a Business Network
Business data is sensitive, so cybersecurity is crucial to protect both business and customer data. Here are some actions you can take to improve security and understand how secure systems work.
- Access control: implementing an access control system is an optimal solution that prevents anyone from accessing the network and obtaining sensitive data. A robust access control system is key to centralizing and protecting the database of users with access to the system, and resources.
- Keeping the database clean and up to date will help prevent attackers from logging in with old credentials that are no longer in use. There are now several powerful tools that you can use to manage identity directories.
- Updated systems: keeping the system updated is the best way to avoid hackers since new forms of cyber-attacks come out every day. Updates make the system stronger to protect it against threats.
- Password managers: secure passwords are essential for all users of a business network. Implementing a password manager helps to educate users on how to establish the necessary parameters for a secure password.
- Unique passwords per account are the best way to protect oneself. A password manager also offers assistance to users in creating passwords and recovering forgotten accounts.
- Use hard disk encryption: Encryption helps keep a system secure by protecting data from unauthorized access. Hard drive encryption is a useful way to control data traffic and protect sensitive data. It is also a very useful tool on computers such as laptops and tablets. If your system is continuously exposed to high traffic of sensitive data, then encryption is the best way to protect yourself.
- Use firewalls: firewalls are useful to control a company's network traffic. It is best to use a next-generation firewall capable of mitigating threats, as they protect and prevent any type of attack.
- Backup on the cloud: keeping data in the cloud is a good way to make it easily accessible, and keep it available. It could also be cheaper than other forms of traditional backup. The system users should use the cloud for backup, as other traditional forms of backup can be inefficient in terms of data recovery, and can be much more expensive.
- Protection against malware: Malware is also a key point to keep in mind for network security, as the network is exposed to many malware threats daily, which is why tools capable of monitoring the system must be used.
- The endpoint protection is designed to protect the platform by securing each network entry point. Malware can be found in different types of hardware, even in attachments or downloaded files, and phishing.
- Multi-factor authentication : this is a much more secure way to protect the system than direct login. It is necessary to educate users about the use of multi-factor authentication, as it provides multiple benefits, especially because it is inexpensive. The idea is to use more than one way to log in securely, either with a security code sent to their cell phone or email, among other methods.
- Build a team of security professionals: having a team within the company in charge of system protection is a good strategy. Following best practices and monitoring system usage are the main activities of the team. The team is trained to quickly identify all problems that may occur in an insecure network.
- Cybersecurity training: promoting cybersecurity training within the company for all employees is ideal. Thus, everyone will have the right tools and will know the procedures required to avoid threats.
Recommendations for Users of a Business Network
Educating network users on the proper operation and management of the system is one of the elementary actions to prevent threats. Some actions to take into account are:
- Constant reminders to network users to use search engines that can take them to fake pages and steal their login information.
- Recommend not to open links that do not come from official channels. In addition, it is essential not to open insecure documents when the sender is unknown, and the origin is doubtful.
- Do not share access data by any means, as they will never be requested by the company.
- Change the password continuously and ensure that the password follows all length and character usage parameters.
Simple actions such as maintaining an updated system, and a clean and organized database, are things that can help you in the medium and long term to protect your business system. Don't hesitate to invest in robust and quality systems, because your business success may depend on the security of data.
Financing this type of action is the best way to keep your company safe, as a cyber-attack could cost you a lot more. Ongoing system audits are valuable to detect weaknesses in the network and to strengthen the system's defense.
Many other techniques can be implemented, but the ones mentioned here are vital for complete protection. Other options you can take into account are multi-factor authentication, and of course, a team within the company that is responsible for the security of the network is also vital to ensure the safety of the data. Engaging with security professionals is key to being prepared to respond to attacks. They monitor network activity and make recommendations in time to mitigate vulnerabilities.
ScreamingBox's digital product experts are ready to help you grow. What are you building now?
ScreamingBox provides quick turn-around and turnkey digital product development by leveraging the power of remote developers, designers, and strategists. We are able to deliver the scalability and flexibility of a digital agency while maintaining the competitive cost, friendliness and accountability of a freelancer. Efficient Pricing, High Quality and Senior Level Experience is the ScreamingBox result. Let's discuss how we can help with your development needs, please fill out the form below and we will contact you to set-up a call.